We tried to avoid it but the off the shoulder top trend has become unavoidable this season. We took a united stand and advised women over 40 to skip it along with cold shoulder looks (which we really hate) but many of our readers have communicated they like it and we feel we need to clarify. We now agree that some women over 40 can totally work the look. So now of course, Lauren and I are warming up to the trend. Yet, there are some rules.
We prefer off off the shoulder tops that do NOT have elastic at the hem (you don’t want to be tugging at both ends) and are happy to find some longer tunic style tops like this Free People Show Me Some Shoulder’ Off the Shoulder Cotton Blouse, $78 pictured above. The longer length is much more flattering, elongates the torso, will not poof out in front which makes you look bigger – and and will not ride up. Score.
Here are some tips to wearing off the shoulder tops;
1. Make sure you have the right body type for an off the shoulder top. You need to be really honest with yourself. When you are over 40 if you are smaller chested, smaller shouldered and have a tight decollate you can pull off the look. If you can’t claim all of the above, avoid this trend.
2. Wear a strapless bra with your off-the-shoulder top. This should seem obvious, but we thought we should make it crystal clear
3. We recommend long sleeves – they look more sophisticated than short or flutter or no sleeves!
4. Avoid cropped versions. The words crop top should not be in your vocabulary.
5. Avoid extra ruffles at the neckline! It’s too young-looking and will add weight visually.
6. Stick to sleek silhouettes and avoid extra embellishments.
7. You can still skip the trend altogether!
But if you MUST get one, here are some “Fountain of 30 approved” off-the-shoulder tops.
If you enjoyed this post check out 10 Fashion Mistakes That Make You Look Older and The 7 Jean Styles Women Over 40 Should Have In Their Closet.