Spring is here and the opportunity to wear (or to have to wear) a dress in the next several months is looming. You may need a formal, cocktail or mother-of-the-bride or groom spring dress. Or you may want to update your wardrobe with a versatile dress to wear casually or to a business event. So what are the best spring dresses for women over 50? I found some stunning designer dresses as well as very similar dresses that (by comparison) are a steal!
The Best Spring Dresses of 2023
This season designers are offering a wide variety of dress styles that include ruffles, capes, floral appliques, asymmetrical styles, gathers, pleats and ruching in the all the right places. These elements are flattering on mature women, as well women of all ages. Florals are always in style for spring, and this year you can find them in your favorite colors. Bright bold solid colors like hot pink, yellow, orange, kelly green, violet and and cobalt blue are all on trend, so take your pick.
Spring Dresses 2023: Splurge or Steal
I found some of the best spring dresses for a variety of occasions for women over 50. You may want to invest in a designer dress for a very special occasion or get a dress with a similar look and feel for a whole lot less. Take a look!
YES! I LOOK FORWARD TO #GROWINGYOUNGER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
The Flowy Blush Pink Dress
This gorgeous Lanvin Cape-effect Tie-detailed Ruffled Crepe Dress makes quite an entrance with its high-low hemline and flowy fabric. That entrance will cost you $4,510 but it is so amazing and will work on a variety of figure types. Or you can get this flowy blush Mac Duggal Empire Rosette Midi Dress for a fraction of the cost at $398.
The Floral Print Cocktail Dress
Who doesn’t love a classic floral print on a flattering dress? This Oscar de la Renta Floral Fit & Flare Midi Cocktail Dress is all that for $4,290. If you invest in it you will wear it for many years to come! However you can save many dollars with this very similar floral print Ted Baker Addilin Midi Dress for only $295.
The Long Sleeve Barbiecore Pink Dress
Go bold this spring in Barbiecore pink! This Valentino Silk-faille Gown is so divine for the investment of $8,200. This easy-to-wear maxi shirt dress is ideal for women over 50, and is an iconic look. But if you think you’ll like this color trend for one year only, this Never Fully Dressed Lace Insert Midaxi Dress in pink is only $157, but you will probably need to wear it with a slip.
The Pleated Cobalt Blue Dress
This lovely Jason Wu Collection Cap-Sleeve Pleated Midi Dress for $1,595 is very versatile because you can wear it for evening or a daytime event. Or you can get this ASOS Design Pleated Midi Dress with a belt in cobalt blue for only $93, and you may like the sleeves better.
The Asymmetical Shoulder Midi Dress
If you need a versatile spring dress, The Row Blathine Crepe Midi Dress for $2,250 is a wonderful option. This sleek little black dress can be worn casually with flat sandals or dressed up with heels for formal occasions. The asymmetric top is very flattering, too. You can get a similar look with this Amsale One-Shoulder Fluid Satin Cocktail Midi Dress for just $385, but it only comes in dark navy and you will need to wear a convertible one-stap bra!
How To Wear Spring Dresses for Women Over 50
So where do you begin when it comes to looking for a dress when your over 50? Here are my tips.
- Narrow it down. If you don’t want to be overwhelmed when you shop online, I suggest going to “women’s dresses” category and opting for “long sleeve” and “midi” or “maxi” style. That’s what I do to find more modest dress styles. Then you can drill down even further and chose “cocktail”, “casual” or whatever the occasion you need to wear the dress to see exactly what’s available.
- Long sleeve dresses are simply easier to wear. You can avoid a bevvy of issues like wanting to hide your arms, worrying about wearing the proper undergarments, your bra straps showing, and needing some kind of jacket or wrap to go with the dress. That is never easy!
- Cover up what you don’t like. Long sleeves are a no-brainer for covering arms, and cap sleeves are the perfect solution for many women over 50. But you may like to cover your legs with a midi (or even your feet) with a maxi. Go for a high collar to cover your neck or decollete. Avoid tight-fitting dresses or dresses without linings and you won’t need to wear uncomfortable body shapers.
- Show off your best features. On the flip side, you don’t need to completely cover up! If you have good legs, go for a dress to the knee, if your arms or shoulders are toned, wear sleeveless or halter styles. Wear a bateau, scoop or v-neck if you have a pretty neckline or wear a dress that accentuates a small waistline.
- The yin and yang of dress styling. They say that opposites attract, and the same holds true when it comes to fashion and styling. If you choose a shorter dress, keep it more covered up on top with long sleeves. If you are going for a long ball gown, you can go sleeveless. I think you get the idea!
Do you need a new spring dress? Will you invest in a designer dress or get one for a steal?
You may also like to read The Best Spring Fashion Trends of 2023 to Buy Now and Wear Now and 9 Of The Worst Spring 2023 Fashion Trends For Women Over 50.
This post contains affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and promise not to bug you to death. Join our Facebook Group called Growing Younger where women discuss everything good and bad about being over 50. Additionally Lauren hosts a bi-weekly podcast called Beauty is a Bitch! and an Instagram Live series called “Growing Younger Gabfest with Lauren.”