Just like some people like to over tan, some like to over bleach…their teeth! Who doesn’t want white teeth? They make you look younger, but some people take it a bit too far. I myself was guilty of over-whitening my teeth about a dozen years ago when I first discovered Crest Whitening Strips. My teeth were so white, they nearly glowed in the dark! Thankfully my dentist told me to back off the strips and use them sparingly, but I still see some people I can tell are overdoing it.
Did you know if you go to such teeth whitening extremes you are actually putting your teeth at risk? Dentists have seen the rise of “bleachorexia,” and some are on a mission to educate their patients about what over whitening really means for their teeth and oral health.
Dr. Timothy Chase, Cosmetic Dentist and Practicing Partner at SmilesNY, has seen more than his fair share of patients over indulging in teeth whitening and shared some warning signs of over whitening as well as the various health issues that can arise as a result.
Three signs of over whitening:
- Sensitive teeth, especially to cold
- Inflamed or bleeding gums
- Teeth that look blue or see through along the edge
Three health risks that can arise from over whitening
- Damage to the nerves your teeth
- Thinning of your tooth enamel
- Burning of your gums
Three ways to safely and effectively whiten your teeth
- Have your teeth examined and cleaned prior to whitening- to make sure there are no cavities or gum issues and clean teeth get a much better result
- Follow the directions on all teeth whitening products perfectly
- Find quality products by speaking to your dentist about your teeth whitening options
There you have it…bleach safely my friends.
-Lauren Dimet Waters