Even though we still have a couple weeks left to savor summer, it’s time to start thinking about our autumn wardrobes! It may seem overwhelming, but I find a good first step is to pull together some transitional outfits that work with the unpredictable autumn weather. You can wear elements of the looks now while it’s hot or layer the pieces up to wear on a fall day. Here’s how to get this summer to fall transition look for less.
Summer to Fall Transition Layering
The key to the changing weather in the upcoming months is layering! You can always take layers off if you’re too warm or add them on when it’s chilly. I find that maxi skirts work well with transitional outfits and are a good starting point. When the weather is chillier, you can always swap out the skirt for pants or tights, and the t-shirt for a sweater.
Versatile Maxi Skirts
This maxi skirt from Mango has a flattering slightly asymmetric wrap silhouette with a soft ruffle. I adore this earthy green color for fall because it works as a neutral and is more interesting than simply wearing black. It’s made of a lightweight fabric which is perfect for warm days but the rich color means it can be worn into fall.
Classic Tee Shirts
A classic tee that fits well is always a welcome addition to your wardrobe. These tees from Gap come in five colors, and all would be excellent for layering. The square neckline is flattering as well.
Invest In A Well Made Jacket
I would advise to invest in a complimentary, well made jacket for cooler weather or chilly nights. You can wear it with t-shirts, sweaters or even over dresses. Keep the cost per wear in mind! This faux leather jacket from Levi’s has a unique twist. It’s actually navy, not black, which is chic and unexpected.
Booties: Your Autumn Wardrobe Staple
In autumn, booties are your best friend. They are versatile and go with everything! You can easily dress them up or down with both skirts or jeans. This pair of Chelsea boots from ASOS has a trendy yet classic snakeskin pattern. The chunky sole and pull-on-and-go fit makes these an easy pair of shoes to reach for on busy mornings.
Balance out the look with a sophisticated accessory. This faux crocodile bag from Topshop is a pretty blush pink color and features a fun gold chain. In this particular outfit, I like this pop of feminine color- it lightens up the navy and sage green.
Summer To Fall Styling Tips
• Again, layering is key! When the season changes from warm to cool weather you don’t want to be caught off guard without a jacket or sweater. And it gets too warm, a T-shirt base will help you to keep cool. Look for lightweight fabrics in rich colors that you can wear in both summer and fall.
• Maxi skirts and t-shirts can always be worn multiple ways, giving you a lot of bang for your buck. You can wear a maxi skirt with tights and a sweater, and a T-shirt with jeans or under a jacket.
• Invest in a jacket. Find a jacket that will work with both pants, jeans and skirts. That’s why a classic hip length moto style jacket is a safe bet. You probably already have a black leather jacket so why not try another color this season? The navy jacket I recommend is well made and you don’t have to spend a fortune on it.
• Booties are your best friend! Booties toughen up your lightweight summer pieces and instantly transition your look to fall. Besides, you can wear them all winter long.
• Wear fun accessories to brighten up your look. If you don’t want to spend a lot for fall a fun handbag, colorful scarf or jewelry will make your whole outfit look new.
Shop Summer To Fall Fashion
Mango Soft Fabric Midi Skirt, $79.99
Get ready for the new season with transitional pieces. The crisp autumn air will be here before you know it!
– Claire Mykrantz
Image Layout: Fountain Of 30
You may also like to read more of Claire’s Looks for Less posts like How to Find the Perfect Little White Dress for Less and Looks For Less: Colorful and Bright Springtime Prints.
This post contains affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and we promise not to bug you to death. Oh and we also started a Facebook Group called Growing Younger for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. And check out Lauren’s #growingyounger Car Confessions on our Facebook page.