We are starting to look forward to getting back outside and to seeing more people than the local grocery cashier. But along with the anticipation comes some hesitation, and with it the sobering thought of wearing real clothes again, namely having to wear pants. But fear it no more because you can make a smooth transition from sweatpants to jeans with one of the most fashionable trends around. Here is how the slouchy pants trend comes to the rescue!
What Is The Slouchy Pants Trend?
Designers including 3.1. Phillip Lim, Lanvin, Tom Ford, Rag & Bone, Christian Siriano, Michael Kors Collection, Jil Sander, Tibi, Marc Jacobs, Burberry, Alexander Wang, and Isabel Marant (among others) all showed them for spring 2020.
We even showcased slouchy pants as one of our top 11 spring 2020 trends for women over 40. We were “looking forward to wearing these easy-going pants for spring” but little did we know how much we would welcome them!
There are many versions of baggy pants now available in stores. You can find trouser-style, pleated, harem-style, drawstring, paperbag, cargo and cropped. Pick any style you like. They all work.
Can Women Over 40 Wear The Slouchy Pants Trend?
The best slouchy pants for women over 40 are long trousers, that hit at the waistline or fall just below with full wide legs. This style is the most sophisticated and fresh.
I don’t recommend all styles for women over 40, like the drop-crotch baggies that only give us bad memories. (Did someone say Zubas?)
How to Wear Slouchy Pants Over 40
Yes, these pants are comfortable, but don’t trade in your sweats for just any pair. Bigger is not always better here and you don’t want to look sloppy! That’s why I put together a few tips.
1. These pants need to fit your body, even though the style is relaxed and baggy. Make sure the waistband lays flat and is on the looser side. Don’t go down a size to compensate for the bagginess. This may lead to a bunched up crotch! Look for smooth lines and double check the fit in the rear. You should not see any panty lines, but alternately, make sure they don’t hang too much in the seat. The idea is for these pants to look loose and comfy, but not so oversized that you are getting swallowed up in a sea of fabric.
2. You can try pleated versions, but a flat-front trouser style is usually the most flattering. Soft gathers at the waist work well for most figures, too. Wear them just hitting the floor for a casual chic look. A longer length gives more of a slouchy look as well. I would also avoid really wide cropped pants. The look we are going for here is new and fresh, not your old culottes or gauchos.
3. The best tops to wear with slouchy pants are fitted t-shirts, but you can also tuck in a blouse, or a more loosely fitted top for more modern styling. Finish it off with a cropped jacket or soft bomber.
4. Slouchy pants look fabulous with flat strappy sandals for summer, especially the latest square-toe version (hot trend). You can also pair them with old-school sneakers or casual slides.
5. If you don’t like super baggy pants, try a pair of stovepipe or straight leg trousers in a size or two larger to get the slouchy look.
Best Slouchy Pants For Women Over 40
Here are some slouchy pants in different styles I recommend for women over 40. They are affordable and I like how they are styled. This will help you see how to wear them.
Wide Cut Lightweight Pants
H&M is still open for online business! These H&M Wide-cut Pants in a lightweight fabric are only $24.99! They come in this cool black and white pattern and basic black. These pants have a high drawstring waistband, soft gathers and wide legs. You see how you don’t need to wear a tight top with them?
Patterned Slouchy Ankle Pants
These Rebecca Minkoff Sandra Pants were $198 and are now $138.60. This blue tie-dye print is also a huge trend, and the blue is reminiscent of denim jeans. These pants have a flattering flat waistband and hit just above the ankle so you can show off your shoes. A basic tee and leather jacket are perfect with this pair!
Drawstring Slouchy Pants
These easy drawstring Misty Pants from Velvet for $158 can replace your chinos this summer, and give you the slouchy pants look. A French tuck works well with this pair!
Slouchy Pants With A Suit Jacket
This impeccably designed suit from H&M features slouchy linen-blend pants, $119 and a matching jacket, $149. The pants look like they were inspired by Chloe, so the price is a steal. I love the styling of this suit, but I’d wear a tank or tee underneath!
A python print pair like these Mara Hoffman Valerie Pants, now on sale for $210, look fabulous with a basic white or black tee.
Cargo Slouchy Pants
Cargo pants come in slouchy and baggy styles this season. These Topshop Belinda Wide Leg Cargo Trousers are now only $37.50.
Slouchy Denim Jeans
Wait a minute! Who says you won’t want to wear jeans? These Citizens Of Humanity Annina High Waist Trouser Jeans give you slouchy and comfortable styling in soft washed denim. I told you I’d get you back into your jeans!
Are you going to try the slouchy pants trend?
This post contains affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and we promise not to bug you to death. We also started a Facebook Group called Growing Younger for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. Be sure to listen to Lauren talk about all things anti-aging on the new podcast “Beauty is a Bitch!”