We tried to avoid it but the off the shoulder top trend has become unavoidable this season. We took a united stand and advised women over 40 to skip it along with cold shoulder looks (which we really hate) but many of our readers have communicated they like it and we feel we need to clarify. We now agree that some women over 40 can totally work the look. So now of course, Lauren and I are warming up to the trend. Yet, there are some rules.
We prefer off off the shoulder tops that do NOT have elastic at the hem (you don’t want to be tugging at both ends) and are happy to find some longer tunic style tops like this Gap Floral Embroidered Off-Shoulder Blouse, $59.95. The longer length is much more flattering, elongates the torso, will not poof out in front which makes you look bigger – and and will not ride up. Score.
How To Wear The Off-the-Shoulder Top Trend When You’re Over 40
1. Make sure you have the right body type for an off the shoulder top. You need to be really honest with yourself. When you are over 40 if you are smaller chested, smaller shouldered and have a tight decollate you can pull off the look. If you can’t claim all of the above, avoid this trend.
2. Wear a strapless bra with your off-the-shoulder top. This should seem obvious, but we thought we should make it crystal clear
3. We recommend long sleeves. An off-the shoulder long sleeve top looks more sophisticated than short or flutter or no sleeves!
4. Avoid cropped versions. The words “crop top” should not be in your vocabulary.
5. Avoid extra ruffles at the neckline! It’s too young-looking and will visually add weight.
6. Stick to sleek silhouettes and avoid extra embellishments.
7. You can still skip the trend altogether!
So now you know how to wear the off-the-shoulder top trend when you are over 40. Are you going to try it? If you MUST get one, here are some “Fountain of 30 approved” off-the-shoulder tops.
If you enjoyed this post check out 10 Fashion Mistakes That Make You Look Older and The 7 Jean Styles Women Over 40 Should Have In Their Closet.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and promise not to bug you to death. Oh and we also started a Facebook Group called GrowingYounger for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. And check out Lauren’s #growingyounger Car Confessions on our Facebook page.