Let’s jump right in for this month’s trend, as I’m super excited to discuss it with you. Don’t you just love menswear-inspired options for women? Menswear style clothing is hot, hot, hot this fall and I for one can’t wait to incorporate elements if it into my wardrobe. If you are anything like me and prefer to take a hard pass on ultra-feminine clothing and details, this trend is perfect for us! The menswear trend for 2019 is a little different than in recent years, as almost all of the pieces are perfectly tailored to fit a women’s curves.
The boxy, androgynous silhouettes are not showcased as much this year for menswear looks. If you ask me, that is yet another reason to get some menswear-inspired pieces for fall and wear them with complete body confidence. I’ll show you how to style this season’s exciting fall menswear trend for women over 40.
Fall Menswear Trend On The Runway 2019
There was no shortage of this trend on the fall 2019 RTW runways. All of my favorite (and probably your favorite too) designers made sure this trend was seen. Tailoring was king in collections from Dolce & Gabbana, Alexander McQueen and Prada. Beautiful, lush wool and tweed fabrics were impeccably constructed to fit the models’ bodies. Strong shoulders, cinched waists and trousers with just the right inseam lengths would make even the biggest doubter of menswear for women question their faith.
YES! I LOOK FORWARD TO #GROWINGYOUNGER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
It was almost impossible to pick a favorite from the collections, but I truly loved the full ivory suit from Dolce & Gabbana with a trench coat and fedora to match. It may seem extreme, but I would wear the complete outfit out on the town without thinking twice. I also loved the Alexander McQueen collection which took the menswear trend and added bold colors and edgy details. I immediately fell in love with the look featuring the red color blazer adorned with chain link detail paired with the black bell bottom pants with red tuxedo stripes. Either one of those pieces would remain in my wardrobe rotation all season long.
How To Style The Fall Menswear Trend Over 40
There’s no magic trick here. It’s all about tailoring and how the lines hug your body. A good place to start is a beautifully fitted blazer or jacket. There are more than enough to choose from, but I love this Rosetta Getty houndstooth jacket. It’s an ideal investment piece; the double breasted closure allows it fit close to the body and the neutral color works with any other piece you’d want to pair it with. The houndstooth pattern is rich in texture so everything else you wear can be a solid color without your outfit appearing drab. Honestly, this paired with jeans and practically any type of boots could be a staple fall outfit.
You may also want to think about a high-waist, wide-legged pant. For this style, you should probably be mindful of your height as you don’t want all of the fabric to overwhelm your frame. If you want to give this style a try, I absolutely love the silhouette and color of these Sies Marjan wide leg trousers. Wear them with a fitted top and some statement pumps and I bet you’ll be the best dressed woman in the room. Of course, as always, you can just dabble in this trend like any other. Start with a beautiful, classic leather bootie like this Charles by Charles David bootie, or throw on this surprisingly neutral Rag & Bone fedora to top off any outfit.
Fall Menswear Trend Styling Tips
1. Most menswear pieces serve as great neutral wardrobe staples. It’s incredibly easy to incorporate any of these pieces into any outfit you’d already wear. We all have a classic button front shirt, a great pair of pants or your best-fitting jeans. Don’t hesitate to top off your outfit with a checkered blazer, a versatile wool hat or a beautiful pair of embossed leather boots; all of which take some inspiration from menswear.
2. You can also invest in a show-stopping statement menswear piece! As much as I love a neutral and classic piece of clothing, my heart jumps for a statement piece. Menswear is the perfect opportunity to take your style to the next level. Most pieces that you’d be willing to explore should still work for your life, regardless if it’s in the office, an evening out or a special event. This Oscar de la Renta wool and silk dress is a perfect example and is truly what my fashion dreams are made of.
3. Menswear doesn’t have to me masculine. As we saw on the runways from most of the designers, the menswear trend for fall is traditional male suiting but fine-tuned to fit our feminine bodies. If you ask me, there is nothing that makes me feel sexier than rocking a blazer with a strong shoulder and a pair of trousers with the perfect fit. The earthy color palette and lush fabrics of these items are no longer just for the boys. Embrace the yin and the yang of the masculine femininity that the menswear trend is playing with this season.
4. If this trend is a little strong for you, note that there are more subtle options to try. We all should have invested in a pair of beautiful, perfectly cut black trousers at this point in the game. If not, this is the time to start your search. The perfect pair of black pants will take you from morning to evening and from now to 20 years into the future. A great budget-friendly version would be the Peyton pants from JCrew. If you have a little more to spend, these Lela Rose crepe pants are a beautiful option. This fashion staple is a powerful first step to a basic and simple take on the menswear trend.
5. There’s versatility in menswear. You can invest in a full menswear-inspired suit, then wear it all together, or each piece separately. Mix and match to create the look you want. You definitely don’t have to go full on head to toe menswear.
Shop The Fall Menswear Trend
Rosetta Getty Houndstooth Double-Breasted Jacket with Peak Lapels, $1,475
Rag & Bone Kacy Wool Fedora, $275
Charles By Charles David Plato Bootie, $129.95
Frank & Eileen Eileen White Poplin Shirt, $208
Oscar de la Renta Multiprint Wool-Silk Day Dress, $3,890
Sies Marjan Blanche Wool Wide-Leg Trousers, $895
– Carmen Turner
Runway Photos: Dolce & Gabbana and Alexander McQueen Fall 2019, Vogue.com
You may like to read more of Carmen’s wearable trends posts like How To Style The Boho Chic Trend When You’re Over 40 and Modest Dresses You Will Want For Summer And Beyond.
This post contains affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you.
Image Layout: Fountain Of 30
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and we promise not to bug you to death. Oh and we also started a Facebook Group called Growing Younger for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. And check out Lauren’s #growingyounger Car Confessions on our Facebook page.
2 thoughts on “How to Style This Year’s Exciting Fall Menswear Trend”
I’m not sure what I think of this style. The shoulders remind me of the 80’s.? But I do really like the dress and the hat!
Not all of it will work or be of the liking to everyone. You can pull out the pieces you like and make them work for you! That’s the beauty of fashion trends.