Happy Healthy Aging Month! Gen X-ers are now starting to dethrone baby boomers since the first of the 82.1 million Generation X-ers (compared to 76 million boomers) turned over 50 in 2015. Our numbers are growing, and if you look at all the products now aimed towards us (when we were previously ignored) you can see why #GrowingYounger has become big business.
Healthy Aging Month began just a few short years ago to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older. You are never too old to “re-invent” yourself. It’s never too late to find a new career, a new sport, passion or hobby. There’ always time for reinventing yourself.
10 Tips for Reinventing Yourself During Healthy Aging Month
- Never act your age! What does that mean anyway? And please do not think for one instant what your current age should act like. Whatever your best year has been so far (25, 36, 48?) picture yourself at that age and be it. It’s not denial, but positive thinking and it goes a long way toward feeling better about yourself.
- Wear whatever the hell you want! Sure, we provide tips on this site, but our goal is to get you to step outside your comfort zone and feel and look your best. Seriously. If that voice in your head is telling you not to wear something, question it. Except for crop tops, never question wearing those. Don’t wear them.
- Try to be a positive person. I know it’s tough right now, but try to be positive in your conversations and your actions – every single day. When you catch yourself complaining, check yourself right there and change the conversation to something positive. Turn off the news! It’s totally depressing. Watch 10 minutes if you must, but don’t get consumed.
- Get rid of the negativity in your life. If you have negative friends who complain all the time and constantly talk about how awful everything is – give yourself permission to drop them. Try to distance yourself from people who do not have a positive outlook on life. They will only depress you and stop you from moving forward. Surround yourself with energetic, happy, positive people of all ages and you will be happier too. Smile as much as you can. Even if you don’t feel like it.
- Walk this way! Walk like a vibrant, healthy person. No rounded shoulders and hunching over. Do you walk slowly because you have just become lazy or maybe you have a fear of falling? Then make an effort to take big strides and ditch the heels for flats.
- Stand up straight! You can knock off the appearance of a few extra years and pounds with this trick. Look at yourself in the mirror. Are you holding your stomach in? Do you have your shoulders back and chin up? Check out how much better your neck looks! Fix your stance and practice it every day until it is natural.
- Lonely? Stop brooding and complaining about having no friends or family. Do something about it now. Right this minute. Pick up the phone and make a call to do one or more of the following: volunteer, take a class, invite someone to meet for lunch, brunch, dinner, or coffee. Facebook is great for reconnecting with long lost friends.
- Start walking not only for your health but to see people. Have a dog? You’ll be amazed how your pooch can be a conversation starter. Why not adopt a dog? Or if you are not up for that volunteer to walk dogs at your local shelter.
- Keep up on all of your checkups! Make Healthy Aging Month the time to set up your annual physical and other health screenings. Ignoring problems or avoiding them altogether does not make them go away. Face your fear and just do it. Go to the appointments and then, hopefully, you can stop worrying for a while.
- Find your passion. Love to paint but think you’re no good? Who cares? Take a class and get better. Have you always wanted to learn to play an instrument? Sign up for a fall music class. Or take one online. Want to write that novel that’s inside you? Do it. Don’t keep putting these things that pull at your heartstrings off.
What will you do for Healthy Aging Month?
Have you started doing something in midlife that has been life-changing? Or have I missed any healthy aging tips you’d like to share? Please leave a comment.
And don’t forget to enter our Healthy Aging Month giveaways! We are giving away amazing items all month long.
You may also like to read How To Feel Fit and Fab at Forty and Beyond and How To Reduce Your Risk Of Osteoporosis With Exercise.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and we promise not to bug you to death. We also started a Facebook Group called Growing Younger for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. Be sure to listen to Lauren talk about all things anti-aging on the new podcast “Beauty is a Bitch!”
Image layout: Fountain Of 30