I love that point in the late spring months when I can put away my wool socks and let my newly manicured toes breath! Here in the Midwest we are still teetering on cooler weather – it snowed just a couple of weekends ago! We are getting close to warmer temps and if you’re not there already, it’s time to start thinking about your summer shoe-game. I’ll be shopping my closet from last summer first, but there are tons of new and fun summer shoe trends in stores already, I’ll be adding a few more pairs to my closet this year. With so many options for the perfect summer shoe, it can be difficult to narrow it down. This month I will take a look at the spring 2019 shoe trends, specifically the sandals, slides and sneakers that will help kick off (pun intended) the season.
Spring 2019 Shoe Trends
The spring 2019 shoe trends are very reminiscent of 1990s fashion. Sandals and slides are featuring block heels, platforms, thick straps (as well as super minimal thin straps) and let’s not forget our favorite sandal throwback: Birkenstocks. Sneakers are skewing almost futuristic, with lots of bright colors, thick soles, mixed media fabrics and incredibly substantial profiles. Gucci sneakers include over-the-top jeweled embellishments. There are also a lot of simpler sneakers that feature bold graphics and appliques that are also trending.
Designers paid close attention to the details not just in their clothing, but in the accessories they sent down the runway. Chloe, Missoni, Saint Laurent, and Marni all showcased colorful strappy sandals, vintage inspired heels and even adornments like feathers and beading in the runway shows. Though some were a little over-the-top, like the Prabal Gurung sandals with feathers spilling out of the back, some are completely wearable like the minimal clear strap, slide heels featured in the Sally LaPointe show.
How to Wear Sandals, Slides and Sneakers
A good strappy sandal will take you through the entire summer. The right pair can be worn with dresses, shorts, jeans, skirts and everything in-between. I love a basic style with a bit of an unexpected twist and these Isabel Marant snake print sandals would be that pair for me! I love the neutral color pallet mixed with the snake print. It makes a very basic silhouette incredibly special.
If you are looking for a style dedicated to comfort and you prefer a more athletic look, you can’t go wrong with either these Nike AirMax Premium Sneakers or these Adidas Falcon Sneakers. Sneakers are not just for the gym anymore. These two stylish options from the top brands in athletic wear will keep you on-trend while maintaining a level of comfort that we all want in our lives. I’ve gotten into the habit of wearing sneakers to brunch with my girlfriends and then doing all of my errands afterwards. I’d slide those Nike’s on without missing a beat!
Finally, if you want something a little sexy, give these gold metallic 3.1 Phillip Lim cage leather mules a try. They are sleek, sultry and the heel is the perfect height. I think wearing these with a brightly colored jumpsuit (my current spring/summer staple) is the perfect combination for a warm evening outing.
Shop Sandals, Slides and Sneakers 2019
Pictured above (from left to right)
Adidas Falcon Shoes, $100
L’Artiste Annmarie Wedge Sandal, $99.95
Tips for Shopping and Styling Sandals, Slides and Sneakers
1. Leave your 1990s self in the 1990s! Though these styles are reminiscent of those days, that doesn’t mean you have to completely deck yourself out in your vintage gear. Take this trend and pair it with more modern looking pieces. You don’t want to look like you stepped out of a time machine. For example if you are going to go with a brightly colored platform sandal, keep the rest of your outfit modern with a pair of lightweight culottes and a neutral color silk t-shirt.
2. Don’t be afraid of bright and bold colors! Summer is the perfect time to play around with colors and the ideal accessory to do it with is shoes. A strappy summer sandal in fuchsia is much more fun, playful and airy than one in brown or black. Use the summer months to play with sunshine yellows, emerald greens and even rich orange colors in your wardrobe. Taking that risk in the summer somehow seems more forgiving than in the winter, doesn’t it?
3. Sandals are supposed to be comfortable! We all know our own shoe size, what feels good to us and what doesn’t. So, as a women over 40 who knows both your body and what you like, make sure to keep it comfortable. No one wants to walk around with pinched feet, sore heels or fallen arches. Get what works for the shape and size of your feet. These days, even brands dedicated entirely to comfort are adapting to the trends so you don’t have to be forced to wear orthopedic-looking shoes just because you deal with foot pain.
4. Have fun and change it up frequently! It’s always a good idea to invest in a great pair of summer sandals that are timeless and can be worn forever. However, don’t limit yourself! It’s OK to get some less pricey (but still comfortable) options that you know you’ll only wear this season. You can find super trendy styles for incredibly affordable prices at mid-range retailers like Steve Madden or deeply discounted options at Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
5. Stay true to your personal style. I’ll be the first to admit some of these 1990s silhouettes are not my favorite. Keeping that in mind, it’s not likely I’ll go all out on this summer trend. That being said, I’ll find something that works for me that will make me feel fabulous rocking my summer sandals. The same should be said for you. Stick with what you know and what you’ll feel good in. It’s great to take a fashion risk, but not at the expense of not feeling like you!
– Carmen Turner
Runway photos: Vogue.com
You may also like to read about more wearable trends for women over 40 like How To Style The Boho Chic Trend When You’re Over 40 and How To Wear Timeless And Classic Chanel-Inspired Trends.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and promise not to bug you to death. Oh and we also started a Facebook Group called Aging Backwards! for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. And check out Lauren’s #agingbackwards Car Confessions on our Facebook page.