Levi's® introduced their revolutionary new fit system last week in NYC's Bryant Park and since Second City Style is all about knowing your body and dressing stylishly in what actually fits your own body type, this was an event I just had to check out. Levi’s® new Curve ID Is focuses on your shape, not your size. Brilliant right? This new fit system was created as a result of studying more than 60,000 body scans and listening to women around the world of all shapes and sizes. Since I think trying on jeans is as traumatic as trying on bathing suits I can only suspect that most women are frustrated!
Through extensive research, Levi’s® designers created a new approach to measuring a woman’s body and identified three distinct body types that account for 80% of women’s shapes universally. The three Levi’s® Curve ID fits are based on these universal body types.
“Since we created our first women’s jeans 75 years ago, no one has changed the formula for finding the perfect fit,” said You Nguyen, senior vice president of Women’s Merchandising and Design for the Levi’s® brand. “Our revolutionary approach looks beyond waist size to address the true curves of a woman’s entire body. We’ve created three custom fits that address a range of body shapes, allowing women to find their perfect fit and ultimately helping them feel confident and sexy in their jeans.”
Levi’s® developed three custom fits based on the difference between the measurement of a woman’s hip and seat – the greater the difference, the more curvy the body – and include:
- Slight Curve – designed to celebrate straight figures. Slight Curve is designed to define a woman’s waist, while accentuating her curves. If jeans usually fit in the hips and thighs but are too tight in the waist, a woman should try the Slight Curve.
- Demi Curve – designed to fit even proportions. Demi Curve is designed to flatter a woman’s waist, while smoothing her shape. If jeans usually fit in the waist, but don’t flatter the figure, a woman should try the Demi Curve.
- Bold Curve – designed to honor genuine curves. Bold Curve is designed to hug the waist, without gapping or pulling. If jeans usually fit in the hips and thighs, but gap in the back, a woman should try the Bold Curve.
Her are some interesting stats that Levi's concluded through their global survey (no wonder trying on jeans is so stressful!):
• More than half of women (54 percent) try on at least 10 pairs of jeans to find one pair they would buy.
• Most women (87 percent) wish they could find jeans that fit better than the ones they own.
• Most women (67 percent) believe that jeans are designed for women with “ideal” figures.
• Very few women (28 percent) believe that jeans are designed to fit their bodies.
YES! I LOOK FORWARD TO #GROWINGYOUNGER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
So last Friday Levi’s® Curve ID held a giant launch event in Bryant Park and since I had errands to run nearby I stopped in. I was first measured from the waist down and around my hips (about 4 different measurements) and was informed I was a Demi Curve (I won't tell you what size). Since I wanted a dark rinse straight leg I was given the jeans that should have fit. So off I went to a white tent expecting to have a perfect fit in 10 seconds or less and guess what? I couldn't get them over my hips. Argh! So they brought me the next size and while they did fit, they were a little short wasted for me. I'm too old to display a whale tail. Meanwhile I heard a more jubilant and obviously happy customer yell "I LOVE these jeans" from another tent dressing room. Lucky her. I couldn't lose hope.
Thankfully the two fitters guarding my dressing room were not going to give up on me, even though I was about to. One of them looked at me and at the same time we said "maybe it's time to try the skinny jeans." I had initially rejected the idea because I seem to be loaded up on skinny jeans. Well when I tried them on (a size smaller than expected I might add) it was nirvana! They were perfect! And comfortable. Needless to say I skipped to the photo tent thrilled that I had finally found the perfect fit! The Demi Curve Skinny is MY perfect jean!
Happy in my new Levi’s® Demi Curve Skinny Jeans
Levi’s® Curve ID fits is beginning to roll out in select Levi’s® retail stores now. The fit system, which will be incorporated into the majority of Levi’s® Women’s denim collection, is available in waist sizes 22-34 (0-16 on a traditional women’s size scale) in a variety of styles and finishes.
Each store carrying the line will have trained fit experts to measure women, identify her c Curve ID and help her find the best fitting jeans for her body type and style preference. A global digital fitting room will launch on Levi.com where women will be able to find their Levi’s® Curve ID, explore product demos and learn more about Levi’s® fit science.
– Lauren Dimet Waters
Photos: Phillip Angert Photography