I find pot roast to be the perfect wintertime comfort food. It’s hearty, homey, packed with flavor, high in protein and a classic using real ingredients. It takes only 15 minutes to prep! My version is a super easy slow cooker pot roast and in this recipe I use venison, but you can absolutely substitute beef.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
I’ve been making slow cooker pot roast for years because back when my kids were so picky about eating this was one recipe we all loved. So I kept it in the act. Today their tastes have evolved (thankfully) but they still request it. And I am happy to oblige because it’s fairly healthy, lean, low in calories and hits my protein goals.
The secret to the best slow cooker pot roast is to sear or brown the meat before you cook it for hours. Do NOT skip this step! It’s the game-changer.
YES! I LOOK FORWARD TO #GROWINGYOUNGER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
I also add in fresh herbs if I have them available. I literally go through my vegetable keeper to see what’s in there and I toss it in. And if I have some potatoes on hand, I will peel and toss them in too. But if not, no worries. Trust me, nobody will miss them. This is the ultimate pot roast recipe using simple ingredients yet it’s layered with rich, satisfying flavor.
Slow Cooker Venison Pot Roast
Yields: 10-12 servings
Prep: 15 minutes |Cook: 4 ½ hours | Total: 4 hours 45 minutes
2 ½ pounds venison roast (can substitute with beef)
1 tablespoons steak seasoning
1 tablespoon cooking oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons worcestershire
½ teaspoon onion powder
- Dry the roast with paper towels. Coat meat in steak seasoning and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Sear roasts for 4 minutes each side, then transfer to crock pot.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onion to the hot skillet. Cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan by adding 1 cup of beef stock. Use a wooden spoon to stir and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in worcestershire and onion powder. Turn off the heat and add the mixture to the slow cooker, pouring right on top of the roasts.
- Cook on high for 1 ½ hours. Turn the slow cooker down to low heat and cook for an additional 2 ½ to 3 hours. Use two forks to shred the meat. Serve warm with mashed potatoes if desired.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 35g
You might also like these easy meals: The Best Easy-to-Make Texas-Style Crock-Pot Pulled Pork and Fast, Easy and Delicious Sheet Pan Chicken Teriyaki.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and promise not to bug you to death. We also started a Facebook Group called Growing Younger for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. Additionally Lauren now hosts a podcast called Beauty is a Bitch! and a weekly Instagram Live series called “Growing Younger Gabfest with Lauren.”