I don’t know anyone (young or old) who doesn’t love chocolate cupcakes, but what if I told you could make the best chocolate cupcakes from scratch that also happen to be gluten-free? Oh and did I happen to mention these bakery-worthy gluten-free chocolate cupcakes are so easy to make and only require one bowl to make the batter? That’s why I know you will love these decadent chocolate cupcakes.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
I know a lot of gluten-free dessert recipes can be lackluster and downright awful, but you didn’t think I’d steer you wrong did you? In fact, you can’t tell these decadent chocolate cupcakes are gluten-free. For one, the texture is spot on, and two, the flavors are truly harmonious.
Chocolate Frosting for Cupcakes
After the cake (or maybe before) I’m all about chocolate frosting for cupcakes, which I included in this recipe. These cupcakes look like they came right out of a bakery when you use a piping bag with a large star tip. It is not difficult at all, and actually fun to use. Tower the frosting high and finish with sprinkles for a festive touch.
Chocolate Cupcakes From Scratch Tips
Tip, if you want these cupcakes to turn out delicious, please do not make substitutions. Gluten-free recipes do not do well with tinkering. Also do not over mix the batter. That’s why I specify 2 minutes. Time it. You will be thankful you did. Your chocolate cupcakes from scratch will be light and airy of you follow the directions to the letter. Now without further ado here is my chocolate cupcakes recipe.
Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes (Gluten-Free)
Servings: 24 cupcakes
Prep: 20 minutes| Cook Time: 22 minutes | Total Time: 42 minutes
- 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*optional: sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add cupcake liners to two 12 serving cupcake pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add gluten-free flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In that same bowl, add eggs, milk, applesauce and vanilla extract. Use a hand mixer to beat the ingredients for 2 minutes. Stir in the boiling water until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Use a large cookie scoop to equally portion the batter into the liners of the prepared cupcake pans. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and place on wire cooling rack to come to room temperature.
- While cupcakes cool, prepare the frosting: Add room temperature butter to the bowl of a mixer fitted with whisk attachment (or large mixing bowl if using hand-held mixer). Mix on high until a creamy consistency is reached. Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk, salt and vanilla extract. Mix on low for 30 settings. Increase speed to high for 1 minute.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes, garnishing each one with sprinkles if desired.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and promise not to bug you to death. We also started a Facebook Group called Growing Younger for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. Additionally Lauren now hosts a podcast called Beauty is a Bitch! and a weekly Instagram Live series called “Growing Younger Gabfest with Lauren.”