If you have not already done so, it’s time to switch out your fall/winter wardrobe to your spring/summer wardrobe. This can seem like daunting task but it does not have to be difficult. If you do it right you will be all set for your next seasonal closet change. Here are some of the best closet organization ideas to help you spring clean your wardobe.
Closet Organization Ideas
Take a page out of Marie Kondo’s playbook and declutter your closet. Why not make it a more enjoyable place to be? I’ve been gathering tips and tricks to help me organize. I have four closets filled with copious amounts of clothes and accessories. I’m sentimental and it’s difficult for me to let go of things, so I’ve gathered these closet organization tips to help!
Closet Organization and Storage Tips
Ideally, you want to be able to find things quickly and efficiently in your closet so you waste less time. Here are some tips and storage ideas to help you organize:
YES! I LOOK FORWARD TO #GROWINGYOUNGER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
- Start with 3 large boxes or bins. The first bin is for keeping, the second is for selling, the third is for giving away.
- Ask yourself, “Have I worn this in the past year? If not, why?” Some items may be sentimental to you, or they may be pieces saved for a special occasion. But if not, they just may be collecting dust and should go in the donate pile. Ask yourself, “Do I love this? Do I need this? Does it bring me joy? (Marie Kondo)”
- If you’re saving items you like that no longer fit, perhaps you can get them tailored or altered so you get more use out of them.
- If you have a designer item that is giving you buyer’s remorse because the cost per wear totally wasn’t worth it, consider selling it on Poshmark, eBay or the Real Real. Then use that money to buy something you really love and will treasure.
- Ensure accessories like shoes and jewelry are properly stored so you can grab what you need to complete your outfit. The Container Store has some great options like this shoe rack and jewelry storage tray.
- Seasonal items like coats and sweaters or summer clothes should be packed away and swapped when the seasons change. Bed Bath and Beyond has several different kinds of storage bins to suit your needs, in both clear acrylic and a textured grey canvas. Target also has a hanging fabric storage option, perfect for sweaters.
- When it comes to hangers, I love the non-slip thin velvet kind, which can be found online at Target. I’ve personally never done this, but I might try this method after I move: hang all your clothes facing one direction. After clothes are worn, place them back on the hanger in the opposite direction. Every six or so months, analyze the clothes that were never worn and consider donating or selling them.
- In my old apartment, my clothes were organized by season and then swapped out every season. Currently they’re organized by color in my closets. Whatever works for you, consider a method to hanging and storing your clothes so they are easily accessible.
- Get a second opinion! Have a friend come over and grab a glass (ahem bottle…) of wine! They can help you go through your clothes and give their honest opinion.
Spring Closet Cleaning
Most people wear 20% of their wardrobe 80% of the time. Now that most stay at home orders have been lifted, you can change that around and wear more of your wardrobe moving forward. You might be able to make a little extra cash or donate clothes to those who need them. Either way, it’s a good feeling to detox your wardrobe and do a little spring cleaning.
Shop Storage and Closet Organization Ideas
(Pictured above, from left to right)
Target 10pk Flocked Hangers – Brightroom™, $8
Bed, Bath and Beyond SALT™ Medium Textured Canvas Storage Bin in Grey, Now $7.99
Bed, Bath and Beyond iDesign Medium Closet Storage Stackable Box with Lid, now $33.59
Target Hanging Fabric Storage Organizer Gray – Brightroom™, $19
The Container Store Stackers Large Expandable Jewelry Storage Tray, $59.99
The Container Store Graphite 4 Tier Metal Shoe Rack, $44.99
Are you ready for a closet detox? Do you have any closet organization ideas to share?
– Claire Mykrantz
You may also like to read more of Claire’s Looks for Less posts like How to Style The Best Midi Skirt Suits For Women Over 40 and How to Style a Warm Weather Vacation Outfit… For Less!
This post contains affiliate links which may give us a commission at no additional cost to you.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and promise not to bug you to death. We also started a Facebook Group called Growing Younger for women to discuss everything good and bad about being over 40. Additionally Lauren now hosts a podcast called Beauty is a Bitch! and a weekly Instagram Live series called “Growing Younger Gabfest with Lauren.”
Image Layout: Fountain Of 30
2 thoughts on “Spring Clean Your Wardrobe With These Easy Closet Organization Ideas”
Thank yu for the reminder! I do need some of this stuff.
Me too! I love the hanger direction idea!