I’m a huge fan of chicken piccata, and thankfully my family agrees. So this easy chicken piccata recipe is now a family favorite. It’s so delicious, and is one of my favorite gluten-free chicken recipes.
Easy Chicken Piccata Recipe
This lemony, caper-topped, chicken dish is an easy weeknight dinner that takes just 15 minutes to prep. It’s cooked in a skillet on the stove top and this meal is ready in 40 minutes. And it’s gluten-free!
What Is Picatta?
Piccata is an Italian word meaning larded (no lard is used in this recipe). The word “picatta” appears to be a translation of the French word “pique” (sharp, as in piquant). When it comes to cooking it means sliced and sauteed in a sauce containing lemon, butter, and spices (source: Franky Bones).
YES! I LOOK FORWARD TO #GROWINGYOUNGER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
Chicken picatta is lemony, garlicky, caper-topped lightly battered chicken breast dish. It is actually an Italian-American dish that probably came from a combination of a couple Italian dishes somewhere along the way to American tables.
The Best Chicken Piccata Recipe
Through some trial and error I have perfected the best chicken piccata recipe that is lemony with briney delicious capers. How do I know it’s the best? My family tells me they want it all the time.
Chicken Picatta Recipe Tips
- This recipe yields a lot of flavorful sauce to spoon over the chicken and/or sides.
- Start boiling water for pasta or make your side dish at step 6 when you get out the skillet to cook the chicken.
- Serve chicken piccata warm over pasta or cauliflower rice with extra sauce spooned on top.
- Rice, mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables also make fabulous sides for this chicken piccata dish.
- Use gluten-free flour and pasta to make the recipe gluten-free.
Chicken Piccata (Gluten-Free)
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup all purpose flour (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (½ cup)
- 5 tablespoons avocado oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup brined capers, rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Place chicken breast halves in a gallon sized ziplock bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin pound the chicken to ¼ inch thickness.
- Add the whisked eggs to a shallow dish.
- Add the flour, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to a separate shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg to fully coat.
- Immediately dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and shake off any excess.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add two tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of avocado oil. Allow the butter to fully melt and begin to sizzle.
- Add 4 pieces of chicken to the pan and cook for 3 minutes each side. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Add two additional tablespoons of butter and 2 additional tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Once butter melts and begins to sizzle, repeat the same process, cooking the remaining uncooked chicken for 3 minutes per side before transferring to a plate.
- In the hot skillet, add 4 tablespoons of butter, lemon juice, chicken stock, capers and garlic. Use a wooden spoon to scrape off any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Return browned chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with freshly chopped parsley before serving.
- This recipe yields lots of flavorful sauce to spoon over the chicken and/or sides.
- Serve chicken piccata warm over pasta with extra sauce spooned on top.
- Rice, mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables also make fantastic sides for this dish.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 721Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 268mgSodium: 675mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 47g
You may also like to try more of our easy and healthy recipes like This Delicious Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole is Packed with Protein and Healthy Sausage and Veggies Sheet Pan Dinner: Easy Meal Prep Recipe!
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. You don’t want to miss a post and promise not to bug you to death. Join our Facebook Group called Growing Younger where women discuss everything good and bad about being over 50. Additionally Lauren hosts a bi-weekly podcast called Beauty is a Bitch! and an Instagram Live series called “Growing Younger Gabfest with Lauren.”