This is a sponsored post written on behalf of TracFone.
It has been a long time since I have had to interview and I’m lucky to do what I do, but I was even luckier to be invited to a luncheon where I was given the privilege of listening to three women sharing their very personal journeys to success and independence – openly and candidly. A few weeks ago I met three graduates of Success is Calling – a program created by TracFone® and Dress for Success® in 2015- who bravely shared their very personal journeys towards independence who were all driven to be their best selves. It was beyond inspirational and moving. I was riveted.
SUCCESS IS CALLING
YES! I LOOK FORWARD TO #GROWINGYOUNGER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
The Success is Calling™ program was designed to help women navigate the critical first step to employment – the phone interview. (As I mentioned in my last post, I didn’t even know there are now phone interviews before the actual interview!) As part of the the program, TracFone® provides participants with a new smartphone and year of service to support them as they prepare to enter the workplace. Due to it’s success TracFone® and Dress for Success® are proudly expanding the Success is Calling™ program by offering it to twice as many women across the country. These women will be provided with the knowledge and resources to help them thrive during the interview process.
All of these women’s stories were different, but the one common thread that linked these three graduates was their participation in Success is Calling™. Check out their compelling personal accounts in the video below.
Back in the days when I was working in corporate America I was fortunate I interviewed well. I put on my interview suit, had a stellar resume, did my research and prepared to ask the right questions. I had a few rejections, but overall I was lucky – I landed most of the jobs I wanted. After listening to what the job hunting process is like today, I don’t feel confident I would do as well. For one I’m older and two, things have really changed! The Success is Calling program makes complete sense – especially after learning how critical that first phone call is to establishing whether or not a prospective employer wants to proceed to the next step of the hiring process.
So how can you get involved in the Success is Calling program and help other women realize their full career potential? You can either head to Walmart to purchase a TracFone device during the month of April, or you can provide job search and interview tips using the hashtag #SuccessisCalling.
Here are some interviewing tips I have learned through this experience and some research.
1. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! Fear and doubt reads all over your face so when it comes to making a great first impression you need to project you are confident and believe in yourself. Even on the phone. You need to have a phone, I know this seems obvious, but not everyone has one. Having a RELIABLE phone is where TracFone®, one of America’s leading no-contract cellphone service providers, comes in handy. TracFone® offers affordable phones from leading manufacturers, such as LG and Samsung, and airtime service plans starting as low as $19.99 for 90 days – an average cost of just $7 per month.* Oh, and don’t say “um” while on the phone and do not conduct a phone interview from bed or with kids running around and screaming in the background. You need to be focused. Confidence is key.
2. HAVE A GREAT RESUME! Don’t just look on the internet for examples of resumes and mirror them. Talk to a professional who will help you use all the right buzz words and portray you in the light you need to nail the job. If you don’t have a lot of money, it doesn’t matter. You can usually have someone do this for you for under $100 or ask a mentor in your field to review your resume.
3. BE PREPARED. Know the answers to the questions before they are even asked. DO your homework on the company, the position and figure out what the company’s goals are for growth and be ready to explain how they need you to obtain that growth. At the end of the interview, when they ask you if you have any questions – ask one or two. No more. And don’t ask about salary and benefits. That’s for when you get asked back.
HOW TO HELP OTHER WOMEN
Head to Walmart to purchase a TracFone! During the month of April TracFone® will donate 20% of its handset sales at Walmart (up to $525,000) to Dress for Success® to help empower women to build successful careers. (A TracFone® is ideal for those of you with preteens or teens who are begging for a phone and in our heart you know they need one, but you don’t want to spend the insane amount of money to get them an iPhone and loose your child to texting and taking selfies.) You can also help by providing job search and interview tips using the hashtag #SuccessisCalling on your social media.
Learn more at TracFone® and Dress for Success® – Success is Calling™
- Created by TracFone® and Dress for Success® in 2015, the Success is Calling™ program is designed to help women navigate the critical first step to employment – the phone interview.
- As a result of the Success is Calling™ program in 2015, the majority of the 300 graduates landed a job.
- This year, TracFone® and Dress for Success® are proud to expand the Success is Calling™ program by offering it to twice as many women across the country, providing them with the knowledge and resources to help them thrive during the interview process.
- 85 percent of HR managers and working professionals say that first impressions made via phone interviews follow the applicant through the entire interview process.**
- Nearly three-fourths of HR managers and working professionals say a candidate can make-up for less experience with good phone skills.**
**This survey was commissioned by TracFone and conducted by Survata, an independent research firm in San Francisco. Survata interviewed 1001 online respondents between March 07, 2016 and March 14, 2016. For further information, visit www.survata.com.
For more information on Success is Calling™, interview tips and graduate testimonials, visit TFSuccessisCalling.com.
Are you following Fountain Of 30 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? We’ve got lots going on, so join in on the fun! Subscribe to our newsletter here. Oh and we are now on Snapchat too!