I must admit, 2015 was a good year for me. I got to travel the world (for both business and pleasure), got a promotion and had a great man become a part of my life. I also had fabulous times with my family and friends throughout the year. 2016 has a lot to live up to and I’m excited about what’s in store. In all honesty, I don’t believe in the “new year’s resolution,” but I believe in lifestyle changes and the beginning of a new year is a great time to evaluate and implement goals I want to accomplish for another calendar year. Here are my top life goals for 2016:
1. Take a class. I love education and school. So whether it be a class in business, artwork, finance, or learning a new language, it’s important for me to keep growing as an individual. Never to do I want to get stagnant!
2. Up my workout game. 2015 was a good fitness year for me. I committed to at least three days per week of weight training and eating clean and saw great results! For 2016, I want to add a little extra to my routine in the form of running, yoga, dance classes or something new that will get those calories burning.
3. Adopt a more “adult” beauty regimen. Right now I’m a wash-my-face-and-go girl. I use simple Neutrogena face wash and moisturizer and they have served me well. But now that I’m into my 30s, I think I need to do a little better with my nighttime ritual. I want to try SK-II facial treatment. Apparently Cate Blanchett uses it and she hasn’t aged a day in more than 20 years! Combating wrinkles and keeping my skin hydrated is an essential change I want to make this year. This also is directly related to my number 4, which is…
4. Drink more water! I know, I know…this is on everybody’s list, but I’m for real this year. I’ve been told I should be drinking about four liters per day.
5. Adopt a more minimalist wardrobe. In the past I’ve always worn color and strayed from just black because I thought it was boring. However, in the last six months or so I’ve done a complete 180 and have been donning black and toned down looks everywhere I go. Full disclosure, Victoria Beckham is my style spirit animal and I wish everything in my closet was designed by either her or Helmut Lang. This shearling vest by Helmut Lang is on my birthday wish list.
6. Make bold lips a mainstay. A couple of years ago I vowed I would wear makeup every day, nothing crazy, but just take that extra 10 minutes I always used to snooze to put on some make up to deem myself more presentable to the world. That worked out and now I’ve got my workday look down to a science. However, this year I want to experiment with bold lips like red and fuchsia on a day-to-day level. I love these Revlon ColorBurst lip colors. You can get them in matte, lacquer or balms depending on what you like and they are super affordable so there is little to no commitment if you end up not liking one.
7. Donate my old clothes to charity. There are women out there in bad situations that need clothes for job interviews, cold weather or just daily life. What am I holding on to an old winter coat for? I’d rather donate them and know I’m helping someone in need. I’ve been taking my items to Salvation Army, but there are many organizations that would gladly accept donations.
Of course there are more things that I’m looking forward to incorporating into my 2016 life, but I think that’s a pretty good list to get me going! Happy New Year to all!
Photo of Carmen Turner: Fountain Of 30
– Carmen N. Turner
Image Layout: Fountain Of 30