Since fashion and fashion trends are moving at warp speed it’s getting harder and harder to determine the bigger trends. Also they keep repeating year after year which lends to the question, is there anything new out there? The answer is, not really. You will see many of these trends carry over from not just last year, but recent past years (off the shoulder, cold shoulder, cropped pants, uneven hems, tunics, fringe and turtlenecks). That’s great news if you already own some of these trends! Then there are some of those trends that just are not age appropriate like labels, labels everywhere. So what will you need to add to your closet? Here are the top 10 trends you can expect for Fall ’16 according to the runways from NYC that are perfect for women over 35.
1. Midi Length Skirts & Dresses: Carolina Herrera, Bibhu Mohapatra, Ralph Lauren (pictured above) | 3.1 Phillip Lim, A Detacher, Alice + Olivia, Carolina Herrera, Jason Wu Alexander Wang, BCBG Max Azria, Calvin Klein, Boss Women, Alicia Lee, Ruiping Guo, Cushnie et Ochs, Jill Stuart
YES! I LOOK FORWARD TO #GROWINGYOUNGER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST.
2. Velvet: Mara Hoffman, Ralph Lauren, 3.1 Phillip Lim (pictured above) | Derek Lam, Rachel Zoe, Tonya Taylor, Monse, M. Martin, Prabal Gurung, Marc Jacobs, Jason Wu, Lacoste, Sally LePointe, Opening Ceremony, Anna Sui, Cynthia Rowley, Erin Fetherston, Hanley, Jill Stuart, Mara Hoffman, Nicholas K
3. Over-sized & Extra Long Sleeves: Micheal Kors, Narciso Rodriguez, Marc Jacobs (pictured above) | Proenza Schouler, A Detacher, The Row, Tibi, Ji Oh, Public School, BCBG, Assembly New York, Calvin Klein, Nicholas, Prabal Gurung, Vera Wang
4. Patterned Furs & Shearling: Anna Sui, Oscar de la Renta, Altuzarra (pictured above) | J. Crew, Kate Spade, Lacoste, Rodarte, Michael Kors, Yigal Azrouel, Vera Wang, Tome, Marc Jacobs, Coach, Dennis Basso, Bibhu Mohapatra, BCBG, DVF, Son Jung Wan
5. Leather Trench: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang, Tommy Hilfiger (pictured above) | Banana Republic, Karen Walker, Calvin Klein, Lacoste, Proenza Schouler, Polo Ralph Lauren, Rodarte, Theory
6. Round Shoulders: Victoria Beckham, Delpozo,The Row (pictured above) | Narciso Roriguez, Marc Jacobs, Dion Lee, Ruiping Guo, Yeohlee, A Detacher, BCBG, J.Crew, Lela Rose, Vera Wang
7. Eccentric, Vintage-inspired Boho Mixed Prints: Kate Sapde, DVF, Zimmerman (pictured above) | Tory Burch, J.Crew, A Detacher, Tommy Hilfiger, Coach, Anna Sui, Alice + Olivia, BCBG, Cynthia Rowley, Delpozo, Hanley, Jill Stuart, Libertine, Mara Hoffman, Marc Jacobs, Naeem Kahn, Ralph Lauren, Vera Wang
8. Scarves and Ties: Jill Stuart, Michael Kors, Suno (pictured above) | Jason Wu, Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, Tory Burch, DVF, Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, Rodarte, Tommy Hilfiger, Gioia Pan, Zimmerman
9. Plaid & Checks: ZAC Zac Posen, Jason Wu, DKNY (pictured above) | Rag & Bone, Victoria Beckham, Calvin Klein, Rachel Zoe, Ralph Lauren, Suno, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang, Carolina Herarra, J.Crew
10. Liquid Metallic: Cushnie et Ochs, Opening Ceremony, Tory Burch (pictured above) | Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, J. Mendel, Marc Jacobs, Suno, Calvin Klein, Bibhu Mohapatra, Delpozo, Jill Stuart, Narciso Rodriguez, Nicholas, Zimmerman
Just in case you were curious (like we always are) what the main colors were at NYFW we are happy to share. There was still a lot of black and white, tons of black (of course) and then there was tan/khaki, mustard, olive, winter white, berry red, burnt orange, cobalt blue, fuchsia, purple, dove blue and the color of the year: pale dusty pink.
–Lauren Dimet Waters, Alia Rajput Close, Carol Calacci