I asked our readers what SPF sprays they suggested or liked best for their kids and then I learned the FDA is warning not to use them on children because they can inhale harmful chemicals (especially oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate) that can cause cancer and fertility issues. But sprays are so easy!
I have tried to use lotion on my kids and just I like I used to do with my mother, they fight me. Back in those days she just gave up and let me fry (I had a deep, dark tan). Knowing what I know now about the sun, I will not be defeated. So I have researched some of the better SPF sprays for children. I can not claim they are 100% safe, but if you must spray (like me) try these:
Note: I do NOT spray SPF on my children’s neck or face! I use a lotion like the Hang Ten one shown in #5 above.
1. Baby Hampton Beach Bum Sunscreen, SPF 30, Fragrance Free, $22
2. Goddess Garden Sunny Kid’s Natural Sunscreen Spray SPF 30, $19.97
3. COOLA Mineral Baby Moisturizer Suncare, SPF 50, Unscented, $34
4. BARE Republic SPF 30 Kids Mineral Sunscreen Spray, $14.99
5. Hang Ten Kids Spray SPF 50, $12.99 and Hang Ten Kids Mineral Lotion SPF 50, $12.99
6. La Roche-Posay ANTHELIOS Dermo-Kids Multi-Position Spray SPF 50, $22.58
7. KINeSYS Sunscreen Spray, Kids, SPF 30, Fragrance-Free, $18.99
8. Kiss My Face Kids Defense Mineral Air Powered Spray Lotion SPF 30, $18.99
– Lauren Dimet Waters
Image: Second City Style
To Spray Or Not To Spray: Safe SPF Sprays For Kids
July 23, 2015